Sunday, April 27, 2014

Gamo Magnum, Part 3

It has been a while since I worked on this air gun. I was disappointed in the results I got with the replacement O-ring seal I made. When I started I had my doubts as to whether or not it would work and if it did work, how long it would last ? I just wasn't getting a warm fuzzy feeling from this fix.
While driving around yesterday my mind was wandering, thinking about my latest air gun, a Fast Deer (Chinese side lever) Thinking about the leather piston seal it has and how dependable and forgiving they are. Then the Gamo Magnum popped into my mind. Why not build a leather seal for it instead of trying to make an O-ring work or trying to find a supplier of 29 mm piston seals.
I have made a few replacement leather seals in the past with good results and I think this will be an easy fix for this air gun.
To get this project going I built a form from aluminum to give my seal the right dimensions. A 1.112"  recess was milled into a piece of round stock. then a .9" plug was turned to form the shape of the inside of the seal.


The easiest source I have found for leather is at the local Farm and Home store, a tape measure holder. 

I cut out a piece big enough for the seal, soaked it in warm water to soften it up. I also worked some Neatsfoot compound into the leather (mink oil works also). 

With the leather nice and pliable I put it between the two halves of the form and use a C-clamp to force the leather into the form.
 One problem I ran into in the past is the seal comes out with a rounded bottom instead of a nice square corner.
 To make the bottom more square it helps to cut off the excess then use a flat tip screwdriver to force the leather down inside the form. It wont be perfectly square when I remove it from the form but I have found that once it is installed in the air gun and fired a few times the rounded corners disappear.
 The last step is to trim the leather flush with the top of the form. I will leave it clamped over night to give the leather time to dry out and take on the shape of the form.


I turned down some more aluminum to hold the seal in place on the piston and fill up the dead space inside the seal.

Everything went together well. I kept the seal short to keep the swept volume close to where it would be with the correct seal. I added more Neatsfoot compound just before putting the piston in the rifle.
 The following groups were shot at 10 yards from a rest using open sights. I used 3 different RWS wad cutters. They all grouped about the same. Velocities still seem low but I have to remember this air gun was built in the late seventies or early eighties. I haven't been able to narrow it down to an exact year. In that era I believe 700 to 800 fps was a high out put. Regardless these are the results I got....

 Miesterkugeln 8.2 grain averaged 641 fps with an extreme spread of 19.5 fps

 Meisterkugeln 7 grain averaged 758 fps with an ES of 11 fps

Super Magnum 9.3 grain averaged 534 fps with an ES of 26.4 fps. I had to move my POA down as the POI was off the paper with the first shot. 

So far I'm happy with the way it is shooting. I'm going to tear it down again and make sure everything is in good shape. This thing has a great trigger and seems to want to shoot well. Once I'm sure everything is good inside I'll mount a scope and see what this thing will really do.

I tried mounting a scope on it and didn't have much success it was hitting to the right of POA with the windage adjustment maxed out to the left. That will be an issue for another day. While I was at it I took the scope off and shot another group with open sights. I was careful with each shot and was rewarded with this group.
Ten shots into one ragged hole, a nice little four leaf clover. 
I may just shoot this with open sights and forget about using a scope.

I thought I'd add a couple pics of the Magnum as it looks now.....


 To finish it off I just need to make a plug to fill this hole.... Maybe some black plastic round stock or just make it out of aluminum, since I have some on hand.

7 comments:

  1. Great work Rick. I have the exact same gun which is not to be confused with the Magnum 3000. It is not compressing air and has been sitting quiet on a wardrobe for a while. I intend to strip it down and have a go to fixing it. Would you recommend a gun that is close to this one for dis assembly, possibly a close you tube video.

    Charles/Malta

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never found any videos on the Magnum, I did find an exploded view here https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24414/900/ it's for the Gamo 900 but it looks identical to the Magnum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your prompt reply and information. Just in case you would be interested (perhaps for speed comparison reasons), the guy in Melbourne is now doing the 29.2mm seal as per link below:

      http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151293897847?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

      I was just wondering whether once you finished the leather seal, you dipped it in edible oil. I have a vague recollection that for the old folks on this side of the world used to believe that leather seals much better if it is moist rather than dry,also because it tends to grow a bit and hence provides a better seal. Moreover as you mentioned already when working it, you did moisten it up to work it.

      Thanks again for sharing your experience online.

      Regards,

      Charles

      Delete
    2. One other thing from my end, I found the exploded view for the Magnum itself with part numbers:

      http://www.sermasports.com/PRODUCTOS/carabinas_gamo/despieces_gamo/despiece_magnum.htm

      http://www.sermasports.com/PRODUCTOS/carabinas_gamo/despieces_gamo/1-menu-planos-carabinas-gamo.html

      Hope this is useful.

      Delete
    3. In the meantime I have dismantled it but am having a hard time to get the barrel away from the air chamber. There seems to be a liner going through. Is there an easy way to get the piston out. Yhanks again

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the links. I'm pretty happy with the way the Magnum is shooting with the leather seal so I doubt I will get around to putting the correct seal in it.
    I'm not familiar with "edible oil" unless it's cooking oil? The neats foot compound I use is oil, it keeps the leather soft. It is used on anything leather that you want to protect, saddles, shoes or baseball gloves..... I put it on the seal before I assembled it and if I know I'm not going to shoot an air gun with a leather seal for quite a while I put a couple drops down the transfer port so it can soak into the seal.
    To get the piston out the link has to come of the cocking slot, but to get the link out of the cocking slot you have to get the barrel off of the air chamber. I have had the same thing happen on a different air gun. the sleeve ( part #165 in the parts diagram) came part way out with the pivot screw. If I remember right I used a brass drift to drive the sleeve back in.
    Thanks again for the links and adding to my Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An even better exploded view :

    https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24268/Magnum/

    Great work.

    ReplyDelete